Sunday 26 April 2015

It's good to be part of a ward...

Wards or branches are the smallest administrative units of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The ward I attend here is well-established and quite large; but there are branches in this mission with as few as two priesthood holders, one being the Branch President and the other the clerk.
Our ward used to meet in a rented building closer to the area it's named after (Curepe), I'm told; but instead we now share a Church-owned building with another unit, Arima Branch. It's a nice big building with no a/c but lots of electric ceiling fans and louvered windows so the breeze can blow through.

The women in Relief Society are friendly and welcoming; a couple of times today in our class, some people got the giggles and the (very experienced, well-prepared) teacher had to rein things in...reminded me of home!

Yesterday I used my "new" (to me) church key for the first time, to open the building and teach piano/keyboard lessons. I forgot my teaching notes at home (!) but remembered the practise pads, other student materials, and especially the Froot Loops, to play "Don't Eat Pete" - I thought it might entertain some of the younger students and help to decide who took turns at the piano. As it was, the game was so fun I think we got a little off track...
Several older students are progressing well; it's encouraging to hear them play; but it also reminds me how long it takes to really become competent at it, even using an accelerated learning method.
Then there's accompanying, which is another separate skill that also takes practise. It's a bit daunting for students sometimes, I think.

Today was a long day at the church; for me, it meant getting a ride so I could bring the requested two pans of brownies I made last night; then teaching Gospel Principles class (another lesson on the Priesthood! just as interesting as the first - I learned a lot - see Chapter 14, Gospel Principles manual on lds.org).
[After my parents' mission, my Dad said all you really need to know about this Church, is in the Book of Mormon and the Gospel Essentials manual. I agree!]

I've getting to know and love all the different personalities in the ward - "even the stinkers" as my Uncle Blaine used to say about their missionaries...I text and invite various individuals to participate in class, and it's so rewarding when they show up...

After our regular 3 hour block today, all ward members were invited to stay and attend a fireside about the Seminary and Institute program. (Then refreshments! sandwiches, the brownies, and ice cold drinks for a hot day.)
Some students here get up at 4am in order to attend a 6 am class and still be on time for school.... impressive.


No comments:

Post a Comment